Cat Acne: Breakouts Aren’t Just for Humans
That’s right! Acne is not just a pestering condition of humans – it can also plague our feline friends! If you have ever noticed small, black flecks on the bottom of your cat’s chin, similar looking to flea dirt, chances are your kitty has cat acne.
What is Cat Acne?
Cat acne is a very common disease found usually on the chin and around the lips and the seriousness can vary for each cat. It can occur once or it can be a life-long problem. While the exact cause is unknown, breed, gender, and age are not determining factors for the condition.
There are a range of possible causes of cat acne and things that you can do to help your pet with their complexion. Some causes include:
- Poor grooming habits
- Bacteria from dirty food dishes
- Abnormal sebum (oily substance) production
- Skin sensitivity
- Weak immune system
- Concurrent infection or disease
While you can’t combat all of these, there are a few steps you can take to help keep your cat healthy and happy:
- Start by removing any plastic feeding dishes and replacing them with ceramic, metal, or glass ones. The bacteria that can build-up on plastic bowls could be the culprit.
- Once you have the right dishes, be sure to keep them and your cat’s dining area clean.
- Ensure that if your cat doesn’t have the best grooming habits, you supply some extra support in that area to avoid the build-up of oils and bacteria on their skin.
- When in doubt, make an appointment with your veterinarian and be sure to go prepared with any questions or concerns you may have about your fur-baby.
Mild cases of cat acne can be treated with some simple in-home care, including the cleaning of all feeding dishes and areas. After cleaning/replacing the food bowls, cleanse the area under your cat’s chin using a clean cotton ball dampened with antibiotic soap or hydrogen peroxide. If you notice the acne getting worse or not getting better after about a week of cleansing, contact us today to schedule a check-up and we will get them back to normal in no time.